Build customer loyalty and earn more referrals by distinguishing yourself through great customer service.
Winning the bid is half the job. In today's competitive business environment, exceptional customer service must be your top priority.
As a smart business owner, you know the importance of good business practices: keeping appointments, being on time, returning phone calls promptly, not cutting corners, fixing mistakes immediately. But those things are all part of the job. So, what does it really mean to "go the extra mile"?
Going the extra mile means giving more than is expected and making your customer feel special. Here are some customer service tips to help you build customer loyalty and repeat business:
- Set high standards for your crew when it comes to telephone etiquette, workmanship and conduct on the job.
- After your initial meeting and inspection of the job site, give your customer a cost estimate within 24 hours. Benjamin Moore's free Job Cost Estimator tool for contractors can help you calculate an accurate quote based on actual costs and desired profit.
- Build a rapport with your customers so that you may anticipate their needs. Listen to your customers' concerns.
- Find out how your customer prefers to keep in touch: phone calls, texts, or email. Keep them updated, and notify them immediately if issues arise.
- Become the "go-to" person for referrals to professionals who provide complementary services to your painting business. Cultivate a network of reputable colour consultants, faux finish artists, carpenters and other experts who may provide assistance to your customer on the current project or future ones.
- Enhance your expertise by keeping up with the latest products. With all the advances in coatings technology, you can offer your customers a wide range of choices that will best meet their needs, such as Benjamin Moore's environmentally friendly paints.
- Come prepared with materials that will assist your customer in making choices, such as paint colour chips and fan decks. Bring product literature that you can leave behind.
- Immediately address problems or complaints. The way to ensure repeat business and referrals is to resolve issues to the customer's satisfaction, no matter what.
- Give your customers something extra, such as a voucher for a discount on a future service or a promotional gift.
- After the job is completed, make a follow-up call to make sure your customer is satisfied. Send a thank-you card.
- Keep in touch with your customers by periodically sending promotional materials or special offers. This will help keep your business top-of-mind.
To get customers to come back, and get them to refer you, make it your goal to consistently exceed their expectations. You'll soon see that building customer loyalty builds profit for your painting business.
Learn how to create paint job estimates that maximize profit.
See more business tips for painting contractors