Create a colorful, functional chalkboard in any room with chalkboard paint that's erasable, washable, and durable.
With our Chalkboard Paint—available in any color—you can turn any surface into a useful, fully-erasable chalkboard.
Step #1: Prepare the Surface
Once you've selected the space for your chalkboard, clean the surface completely and repair any protruding nails or other imperfections. Some surfaces may require a primer or additional preparation:
Step #2: Tape Off the Area to Be Painted
Use painter's tape to mark off a space for your chalkboard.
Step #3: Apply the Chalkboard Paint
Using a brush or roller, apply the chalkboard paint within the taped-off area. For best results, use a Benjamin Moore custom-blended nylon/polyester brush or short-nap roller.
Step #4: Ensure Lasting Durability
For best results, allow the painted area to cure for 3 days before using it as a chalkboard. Then, prior to initial use, rub the entire surface with a piece of white chalk.
- For erasing, we recommend using a clean, damp cloth or paper towel. We do not recommend using a chalkboard eraser.
- Because of the additives used in some varieties of chalk, which can leave a residue when erased, we recommend using light-colored chalk designed for use on chalkboards.
Ideas for Using Chalkboard Paint:
- Use decorative molding or a colorful painted border to give your chalkboard area an extra personal touch.
- Attach a ledge at the bottom of the painted space to hold your chalk.
- In children's rooms, be sure to make your chalkboard low and large enough so that younger children can reach it and have ample space to write or draw.
- In your office or study, paint a chalkboard calendar with squares for dates. Then update your schedule whenever you like.
- Try a chalkboard in the kitchen for shopping lists, phone messages, and easy recipe reference.
- Think beyond your walls—use chalkboard paint on a child's table, flower pots, or colorful storage boxes.
Get more great ideas for using chalkboard paint in your home or office.
Learn more about Chalkboard Paint (308)—Available in Any Color.
Visit our Color Gallery to start choosing chalkboard paint colors.