Choosing an Interior Paint Sheen
Sheen refers to paint's shininess. When deciding on paint sheen, consider the condition of the wall and whether the area is high/low traffic. Here's a partial list to get started:
- Flat or matte sheen provides great depth of color and is ideal for less-than-perfect surfaces.
- Eggshell, pearl and satin sheens are light, easy to clean, work great in high traffic areas, and reveal color with a softly polished glow.
- Semi-gloss sheens are particularly durable and are often recommended for moldings and trim.
Choosing an Exterior Paint Sheen
Our super-premium products offer the same durability and washability in all sheens, so the selection of the finish is more of a personal preference. But here are a few things to remember:
- Flat is good at hiding surface imperfections and delivers beautiful color.
- Satin stays cleaner and stands up to abrasion better than Flat.
- Semi-Gloss is more moisture resistant and easier to clean.
- High-Gloss allows rich, deep color but magnifies surface imperfections.
Choosing a Stain Finish
Stain opacity levels range from clear to solid, with the amount of pigment in a stain determining its opacity. Translucent, Semi-Transparent, and Semi-Solid Stains are designed to protect without completely obscuring the natural color and texture of wood. As the opacity moves towards solid, less grain shows through the finish. In contrast, solid stains will completely mask the wood grain, while allowing the wood texture to show through, and the greater its protection will be over time.
What is VOC?
VOC means Volatile Organic Compounds. The paint industry is filled with definitions of what "green paint" is. Other manufacturers use tints that add VOCs to their paints, but Benjamin Moore's waterborne tinting technology ensures that our paints retain their low - or zero-VOC properties.
Green Promise®Benjamin Moore's Green Promise® designation is our assurance that the product is environmentally-friendly and meets - and often exceeds - the strictest industry standards, while also delivering the premium levels of performance you expect from Benjamin Moore.
Electrostatic Alkyd Enamel
Electrostatic Alkyd Enamel is a quick-dry, rust-preventive paint that is applied only via electrostatic spray, with no need to adjust polarity. This high-performance formula is engineered for use on ferrous and non-ferrous metal in OEM and industrial refurbishing. It is also well suited for application to metal surfaces, such as furniture, lockers, machinery, tools, doors, and pipes.
- For metal only
- Pre-built and optimized solvent polarity requires no on site adjustments to produce effective electrostatic wrap during application
- Durable hard finish
- Resists marring and scratching and delivers a lasting finish
Colorant Used: Industrial
Color System Supported: Benjamin Moore COLORx® and X-Rite ColorDesigner
- Available Colors: Tintable White, Tint Base, Deep Base, and Clear Base
- Sheen (or Gloss): Semi-Gloss
- Cleanup: Solvent
- Resin Type: Chain Stop Alkyd
- Recommended Use: Interior
- MPI Rating:
- VOC Level: 388.0
Silicone Alkyd High Heat Coating
Silicone Alkyd High Heat is designed to protect steel that is exposed to heat ranges up to 800 °F (425 °C). This product exhibits excellent weathering, resists mild industrial chemicals and moisture and is specific to industrial use.
- Aluminum color
- High-heat resistance allows for use on industrial machinery, hot metal ducting and exhaust vents
- Fast dry; quick return to service
- Uses include heat stacks, boiler jackets, heat exchangers, drying kilns, and incinerators
- Not for interior residential use
Colorant Used: N/A
Color System Supported: N/A
- Available Colors: Aluminum
- Sheen (or Gloss): N/A
- Cleanup: Solvent
- Resin Type: Silicone Alkyd
- Recommended Use: Interior, Exterior
- MPI Rating: 2
- VOC Level: 442.0